pavor nocturnus

November 3, 2007 ·

i thought it was time to explain why my online handle is night terror. well i suffer from night terrors. before you gasp and feel sorrow/pity/concern, don't. i actually think it's funny. mind you, my wife does not. i write this as i had one just last night, so it's fresh in my memory.

so to give you a brief synopsis of night terrors, it is an episode that happens prior to r.e.m. sleep whereby the person feels a pervasive sense of panic, anxiety, and/or fear accompanied by screaming, moaning, or gasping. other effects include an extremely high heart rate and movement, be it thrashing, shaking or a seizure.

now i don't have nearly that severe of night terrors, but they're disconcerting nonetheless. typically (so i'm told), i moan loudly (once i moaned/mumbled 'help me'), become very restless, and my heart races like a mofo. like everyone else, i can't be woken up at this time - or rescued as it were, and am vaguely aware that it is happening, but helpless to stop it. the only time i was ever able to influence a night terror is when i had a dream that i was having a night terror and i could lucidly confront and change the outcome. yes, i dream about night terrors, as if it isn't enough to just have them.

i'll leave this entry on one of the more humorous night terrors i have ever had. i guess the only really humorous one. and it happens to be the first i can recall. going back over 10 years now, when i was first courting my now wife, i brought her home one night and saw her to bed. we were lying there together, on her bed, talking as we both drifted off to sleep. not long in, i began to scream and thrash about. needless to say, holly freaked out and began yelling at me. mind you, it was in the wee hours of the morning, in her bed, with her parents in their room, directly next door, and i'd only known her a couple of months, so she probably had just cause. i didn't know then that these episodes would be an ongoing event, but i guess logic states that i have her to blame.

5 comments:

djp said...
November 5, 2007 at 11:16 PM  

i wonder if my husband has this too! everyone in his family is a very jumpy sleeper (so i've heard--not in the habit of sleeping in the same bed as them all, mind you). nice blog!

Anonymous said...
November 8, 2007 at 9:11 PM  

night terror?

more like you have the jimmy legs.

Anonymous said...
April 28, 2008 at 4:45 PM  

Every time I read up on night terrors, the experts say when they occur in adults that the adults often do not have any recollection of the "attack" happening. I wonder why this is. You obviously know you are having one, and also recall the episode. I also have night terrors and ALWAYS recall them. For you they may be funny, for me, its overwhelming and its ruining my life! Last night I had 6 episodes in a row. Its very irritating!! Do you see and/or hear things when you have your episodes?

Anonymous said...
May 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM  

I am a norwegian woman, 27 years old. I experience night terror now and then. And I am aware of them, but it usually takes me several minutes to fully wake up. I most often see snakes in my bed or spiders. I am very scared and the heart rate raises to very high. I also climb down the ladder of my loftbed (because I want to get away from the snakes!)and usually awake at the bathroom. I have read that the experts is telling that those are very uncommon in adult, and that they usually have psykological problems. I disagree in that, I have no such problems.

Ivar said...
December 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM  

I am a 23 year old male also from norway that has night terrors. I never remember anything from the episodes. Usually I scream out on the top of my lungs in great fear. My girlfriend recognises this almost nightly in some periods. I havnt been taking this serously until now. Iv read through a bunch of texts online but havnt quite found any deep info on sleep terrors. My quest now is to rid myself of this brain sickness. It really concerns me. I dont know if I qualify as a person with psychological issues. How can one know? But i think it may have more to do with sleep deprevation. Many nights I stay up late. I usually sleep 6-7 hours a night. And I suspect that I need more.

Labels

subscribe/follow

 subscribe to rss feed Add to Technorati Favorites

tracking

 
Clicky Web Analytics